Monday, February 3, 2014

Trip is delayed!

Our flight was cancelled tonight due to bad weather in NY. God willing, we will now be leaving for Ghana on Thursday. We are worn out and disappointed right now but we have seen God's hand in so many things that we can't help but feel incredibly blessed:

-Our multiple entry visas that were suppose to be good for 3 years had an expiration date of 6 months (an error, but the reality nonetheless). We noticed this yesterday. We made some hasty calls and inquiries and decided to take somewhat of a risk and go anyway with the plan to buy a visa upon arrival in Ghana (risky, yes).  This delay is allowing us to get accurate visas and travel with peace of mind. 

-Adam woke up feeling terrible yesterday. He actually didn't even get out of bed most of the day. This delay will allow him to recover and feel well for our trip on Thursday.

-I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if we received an email from the Embassy that Gabriel's visa was printing and God was saving us the "fight". However, even if that doesn't happen I have no doubt that God is totally in control of this delay.

-I have an amazing bible study group taking turns each hour praying for us today and God was faithful to hear their prayers. He has sustained us through this delay and will continue in the days ahead. 

We are so blessed, indeed.  

Our bags were already checked so they will make a home in the storage zone at Atlanta airport until we return on Thursday and hopefully they will be on the flight to Ghana with us.

After a cab ride, some money orders, some passport pictures, a bit of money and two overnight Fed-ex mailers our new visas are in the works and should arrive at our house by 10am on Wednesday.

Our hearts are breaking for the two sweeties in Ghana who already packed their bags for a week with their mommy and daddy. They were already in bed when we let the house mom know we would not be arriving tomorrow. Please pray for them. She will help them create a new countdown chart and God willing, we will be there on Friday to give them lots of love. 

I am emotionally and physically spent. I wish I were on a flight to Ghana right now but I will settle for my comfy bed and thank God that I am not stuck in JFK airport all night. I will thank Him for a husband that thrives in situations that are ever-changing and considers them a wonderful adventure even while nursing a cold. I will thank Him for two beautiful kids that were happy to see me back home tonight and for a loving foster home where someone will hug my other two children and assure them of my love and desire to be there. I will thank Him for the financial resources to be able to purchase another visa and make it right so we won't encounter troubles. I will thank Him that the trials of this day tested my faith to develop perseverance in me so that I can be mature and complete. I will thank Him.

Final thought for today....as Adam and I were waiting at the gate we were discussing this whole adoption journey and I had an epiphany...Bringing these kids home is NOT the final goal. The final goal...the ultimate goal...is to honor God with our lives. He has called us to adopt these two children. We know that. He knows the timing and the circumstances. God willing, we will bring them home very soon but ultimately we will try to honor Him even as we struggle through the bumps in the road.

Thank you to all of you who have been carrying us through prayers, notes, gifts, meals, treats, hugs, rides, texts, emails, scriptures. We are so grateful for each of you!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment