Friday, February 7, 2014

Reunited!

Our flight to Ghana was safe and on time. We were able to sit by each other which was a great blessing to us and there were many great movies and shows offered on our personal television screens. On two separate occasions (once in JFK and once in Accra) we felt SO THANKFUL for our updated visas. We would have certainly encountered some major issues from these two specific people and checkpoints if our visas had been expired. We are grateful for God's provision to give us the time, opportunity and finances to be able to make that right.

When we came out of customs Gabriel came running into our arms with his magnificent smile and enthusiastic personality. Debo was a little more hesitant but was quick to allow require me to carry her. After a few hours she was warmed up to both of us, although she always prefers mom right now.

Some of you might not know about our hotel connection....When it became clear that we should try to stay closer to the airport and the Embassy than our agency's office and the orphanage, we began looking at many hotels. When I saw that there was a Novotel in Accra I felt extremely comfortable because I have been working closely with the Novotel Times Square for many years on the Inheritance of Hope Legacy Retreat. When I told the General Manager of the Times Square Novotel, who has since become a friend, that I was staying at a Novotel he reached out to the GM here in Accra and they upgraded our room to a very lovely suite. We have two bathrooms and everyone has a bed. They even delivered a lovely and delicious fruit tray to our room tonight! We feel so thankful and blessed.

This day was spent playing games with our kids, reading books, swimming in the pool, eating at the hotel restaurant, and watching a few videos. It is hard to believe it is only day number one because it feels like we have been together much longer. Gabriel has been a total rock star. He is affectionate, kind, respectful, helpful, and obedient. He is so grateful for all of his new things that we brought and thanks us regularly. Debo is great one second and shut down the next. There is no question her little heart is scared and she longs for a "normal". I have been able to help her through all of her difficult moments today except bedtime. That was an occasion when I just had to let her sit in the corner and work her way over to the bed on her own. She knew we loved her and were willing to rock, sing, cuddle, read and part of it was definitely the not-want-to-go-to-bed tantrum, but certainly there was some fear and uncertainty that was so hard to watch her wrestle with. Our attempts to help were not helpful at all. Thankfully, it didn't last long and it was a very quiet "tantrum". She just needed some time to come to terms with things and then she crawled into bed on her own.

We were really trying to demonstrate with Gabriel how great bedtime could be as she watched from her corner. When we said "goodnight" to him, I asked if he wanted me to lay there with him for a little while. (Cael is my major snuggler so I still get to do that most every night.) Gabriel seemed a little confused, "You will lay HERE?"
"Sure, if you want me to. Just until you fall asleep."
"OK" (with a sweet little smile)
As I laid behind him with my arms around him,  I wondered if he had ever been snuggled like that. What a wonderful gift for both of us!?!? Hopefully, soon Debo will get to experience the same sweet moment with her mama. I'm ready. (Of course, I have been holding her most of the day so I am certainly not complaining.)

Adam is snoring next to me. It is 9:00pmpm right now in Ghana and 4:00pm EST in the States. Neither of us slept too much on the plane so we will be sleeping good tonight! Enjoy these few pictures from the day.






6 comments:

  1. This message brought tears of joy to my eyes Jill and Adam!!! May God continue to bless you!! Love you guys and will continue to prayer for you and your family

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are no words to express how I feel reading your words!! Love that you made it there safely and your accommodations are as awesome as you are and you all have a safe place to enjoy your time and get to know eachother before you ALL come home!! Sending lots of hugs, love and prayers your way!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you SO much for the update!! I've been thinking about you guys almost non-stop this week, thinking about where you must be now and how ALL of your kiddos are doing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jill and Adam...I am without words, what you are both doing is courageous and I applaud you both. I am so happy you guys made it safely and the kiddos are with you. Now just to bring them home...and soon. Reading this brought tears to my eyes while at the same time made me smile. All hesistance will soon pass and she won't want you out of her site. I hope everything goes smooth on this trip and you are able to bring your babies home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful reunion, and first day with your children. We are so glad you made it there safe and sound, God is surely guiding you on this journey to bring those sweet babies home. In a few months they will forget about about those insecure and awkward moments, and will be happy children glowing in their parents love. We will continue to pray for an expedient closure getting Gabriel's paperwork complete so you can bring them home and start enjoying your family as a whole, Safe Travels and we look forward to more updates and pictures.

    ReplyDelete