Saturday, February 15, 2014

Another Saturday in Ghana

Today was a full day.

We started the day out by scrounging for breakfast in someone else's home....Gabriel was determined to make us something from what we found and ended up boiling noodles and adding a can of diced tomatoes. He was pleased with it for the most part but I also convinced the kids to try honey nut cheerios with soy milk. They were very leery at first but they both ended up finishing their bowl. They wanted fruit and sausages and eggs but I am thankful to turn them on to good old fashioned cereal at this early stage in transition. ;-) Most homes in Ghana and definitely most orphanages don't have milk or other dairy products because even if they do have a refrigerator, the electricity is not reliable.

After breakfast we spent an hour or so outside pushing each other around the driveway on a broken bike.

Then our friend Ebe came with her two children and a taxi and we went to the Accra Mall. We walked around for a little while and then ate some lunch. After that we let the kids play in the mall center where they have a bunch of bounce houses and small games for a timed rate. I think some parents check their kids in to go and shop and their is a staff of people helping the children and interacting with them. It is pretty nice. They played there for 30 minutes and then we went to the cinema again to watch Frozen again. The children have now been to the movies twice and they have seen the same movie both times. Not too many family friendly choices right now, at least in Ghana.

Following the movie we got a few groceries in a crazy packed supermarket with 4 young children pushing miniature shopping carts. It was not my idea of a good time as I generally don't even take Liz and Cael with me to the grocery store and I usually refuse to go on the weekend. Needless to say, I was glad when it was over.


We returned to our "home" and Gabriel and Ebe prepared endomame? (basically ramen noodles with a stew overtop made of tomatoes, garlic, and sardines. Umm....my kids loved it. I, unfortunately, have been experiencing diarrhea for the past 2 days and haven't been eating. Sorry if that is too much information but it got me out of eating that meal for which I was thankful. Gabriel actually ate sardines with his rice for lunch too. He loves them....straight from the can. He eats every bite. Tonight when I opened the can for him he even smelled it and inhaled the "yummy scent" with a huge smile. I guess I'll be buying some canned sardines. At least it is easy! Imagine the kids at school when he opens his lunch box and starts easting sardines!!!

I am tired. We didn't sleep well last night at all and I haven't eaten in 2 days but I have moved Debo to the floor tonight and I am taking medicine for the stomach issues so we should be turning things around tonight. I am NEVER alone which is a little hard for me. Debo insisted on sitting in the bathroom on the floor while I showered tonight and now Gabriel is next to me with his headphones on listening to his Ghana dance music while falling asleep. I am certainly not complaining but I am tired.

Prayer Requests:
- No more stomach issues
- Good sleep tonight
- No resistance from Gabriel tomorrow regarding church. He has told me MULTIPLE times today that he is NOT going to church tomorrow. I don't want it to be a battle. When you are tired, battles are always harder.
- Continued healing for his heart. Again tonight he discussed when I was leaving and how he didn't think he would be going with me. I said we have to be patient and wait and he said, "I have already been waiting.". :-( So true my dear boy. So true.
- A visa on Tuesday would be wonderful! (Monday is Presidents Day so the Embassy is closed.)

Thank you so much for carrying our family through this journey. We are so blessed by you! I have more pictures of today but no energy to add them so I will share them later. Good night.




2 comments:

  1. We are praying for you dear friend!!! Thanks for taking the time and posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Jill. I just caught up. I am on my knees tonight.

    ReplyDelete