Friday, February 21, 2014

Our Final Friday in Ghana


I was told to come to the U.S. Embassy at 7:30am this morning to collect Gabriel's visa. Auntie Ebe came over to sit with the kids while I went but Gabriel insisted on going with me. He really wanted to get his own visa. We had to wait 2 hours but we finally got it and it looks great!

(Side note....don't ever take a picture with your cute kid and his new visa outside of the Embassy. The police will come to you and make you fill out papers, copy your passport, take photos of you, and delete the initial photo you took. Apparently, you are not allowed to take any photos around the Embassy at all. I knew that was the case inside but we were are the street waiting for our taxi!!!! Gabriel was freaked. I think he thought we were going to jail. he kept saying "Uh oh. Uh Oh.")




After we had the visa, we came back to the house and took our friends who we are staying with and Auntie Ebe to DC 10 Restaurant in Accra. This is a massive jumbo jet airplane that has been converted into a fully functioning restaurant and bar. It was awesome. You climb the steps and board the plane and then it has all the overhead bins, authentic airplane seats and even the bathroom is airplane caliber. The children were able to raise and lower the window covers and see a little bit of what an airplane will be like. I'm sure when we get on the real one tomorrow night they will be shocked at the lack of space and tables.  :-) We ate some good food and enjoyed our friends and the atmosphere. 

Then we walked around the mall for a little while to kill time until the Delta airline ticket office opened at 4:30pm. At that time we were to pay for Gabriel and Debo Grace's tickets. They were excited to see the airport and we talked a lot about what to expect tomorrow. I think it was a really good dry run. I didn't plan it that way but in hindsight I felt like it was perfect. 

We have spent this evening hanging out, relaxing, watching "Tangled", and packing. 

We all feel very excited to get home!!!!! 

Tomorrow we will go to the transitional home where the children have been living for 2 months and say a final goodbye and then we will head to the airport. Please pray for our sweet friend, Ebe, who has cared for us so well while we have been here. We will miss her greatly and I know her heart is feeling so conflicted with our departure. Our agency had to let her go last month so she doesn't have a job and we have been a distraction for 2 weeks but I worry about her when we leave. I trust God will continue to do mighty things in and through her. She is a forever friend to me!

Like I said yesterday anyone who wants to welcome us home and meet the kids can come to the house on Sunday around 11:00am. If we have any delays I will be communicating that via facebook. Please do not feel any pressure or obligation. We feel SO LOVED and supported. It is truly overwhelming. We would request that the "party" happens outside upon our arrival. After we enter our home we are really going to try and focus most on our immediate family with just a few exceptions. Our children are very excited to see their friend Robert who came home last month from their orphanage so hopefully he will come by on Sunday to greet them. 

I can't wait to hug all my kids at once. I can't wait to kiss Adam. I can't wait to take a long bath and I CAN"T WAIT TO SLEEP!




1 comment:

  1. So happy to see your smiling face. And the picture of the family you have been staying with. Love putting a face with the names and prayers of thankfulness!! Imagine extra hugs from your friends from afar on Sunday. Would love to be there, I'd be the one crying my eyes out. Can't wait for that blog post. All the Thompsons finally under one roof, a perfect picture of God's faithfulness. So, so happy for you and thankful you are on this happy stretch...and of course, the prayers will continue when you all wake up Monday morning to begin a whole new adventure!!!!!

    "Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen." Ephesians 3:20-21

    ReplyDelete