Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Another Tuesday in Africa

Today was hard.

I waited all day praying and hoping for an email from the Embassy and when it finally came it was IDENTICAL to many form emails I have received from them over the past several months. "Your case is still in administrative processing....we assure you we are working as quickly as possible...we hope this information has been helpful to you." Ummmm....helpful? No! Not helpful. You have provided no information. It was like a punch in the gut and it didn't even come until 5pm. 

So...I put on a brave face and went forward with an already hard day.

Gabriel accepted his consequence from his disobedience the day before as expected. I got the silent treatment for a few hours. Eventually I was in his good graces but not for long. I don't usually go too long without making him mad about something. He is learning that I don't go away even when he is ugly to me. He is just beginning to understand unconditional love. After a VERY long day, I am sitting here typing this and he just reached over to touch my leg and hold my hand. Seriously. Bless him.


Today I got my first glimpse of what will likely be our most difficult issue with Debo Grace...indiscriminate affection.  Another American lady came to the house where we are staying to let her dog play with the homeowner's dog and within a few minutes Debo was trying to hold her hand and gesturing for the lady to pick her up. I didn't even know the lady and Debo certainly didn't know her.  This is a classic behavior with children who have attachment issues. This sweet little girl has been passed from person to person for so long. As strange as it may seem, it is not a healthy thing when adopted children act very outgoing and affectionate with strangers. It is called "indiscriminate affection" and can mean that they haven't really attached to anyone. As much as I want to be home right now, I recognize that there would be so many lovely friends dying to help me and give me rest and I would be so tempted to just let them, but Debo Grace needs to learn that I am different from everyone else....another blessing of this extra time in Ghana. 

There is no doubt this time has been painful and will continue to be until the visa prints or God makes it clear I should go home. However, I can see some major blessings of this time and for that I am grateful. 

(I wrote the top half of this blog on Tuesday night and then the homeowners came home. It is now Wednesday morning.)

I have now finally met the sweet couple who have opened their home to me and the kids. They are so generous and kind. They have offered for us to stay as long as necessary and we will continue to pray that will not be long. Although neither of them work in the consular section of the Embassy, they both work in the Embassy and they have given me some advice on how to proceed. I will be going in on Thursday morning at 8:30am to meet with someone and go from there. I'll keep you posted. 


Father, please meet me in the waiting, the place where I long for what is not fully in view.  Still my heart and give me the ability to know that you are near.  I believe your plans are good.  I see it in the birth of your only Son.  Be glorified in my life and in this season of quiet expectation.  You have brought me this far in hopeful expectation.  I am confident your mighty hand and great power are sufficient to lead me all the way home.  Awaken my heart more and more to you.  Live in me.  Christ with me.  For your glory.  Amen.



1 comment:

  1. I wake up every morning and check here, Jill, to see how I can specifically pray for you and your family. Thank you sooooooo much for the steady updates; I know we are all storming the gates.

    ReplyDelete