Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Our First Day Home


Kristen Milligan was my very best friend. She passed away a little over a year ago at the age of 39 after battling liver cancer for 9 years. She was, and still is, a huge inspiration and encouragement to me. One of the greatest things I learned from her was the importance of being intentional in all aspects of your life but especially in regard to parenting. She rarely missed a moment to teach her children. 

Prior to this Ghana trip I feel like I was becoming lazy in my parenting. Liz and Cael are very independent and responsible kids and it was easy for me to do my thing and let them do theirs. Obviously I nurtured, corrected, encouraged and supported them but I was missing moments. I saw the moments pass and knew I missed them. I needed a kick in the butt!

These past 2 weeks have been my kick in the butt. I have had to put my parenting skills to the test and I have been required to be intentional with 24 hours each day. It has been good for me. It is hard work and it is physically and emotionally exhausting but it is my job. It is most definitely what I signed up for and God will equip me with the strength I need for each day. 

I remember a road trip that Kristen and I took with our 5 children when she was on a very toxic chemo that made her miserable. I can't even believe we went on this trip. One of her children needed a little correction and it would have been so easy and probably somewhat effective to verbally correct it with a few words and a look. I clearly remember the entire discussion, consequences, and training that occurred instead.  She wasn't trying to "fix" the child for the moment and make the behavior favorable, she was trying to impact a heart and impact a behavior for life. That was just one of many instances when Kristen exemplified intentional parenting and it changed my life. 

As I look at these four precious children that God has placed in my care I strive to shepherd their hearts. I want them to know Jesus and try to be like Him. I want them to show love to others not because it is easy or expected but because it is what they choose to do. I want them to make hard choices to always do what is right and to be leaders.  

Even though the two newest are 5 and 8, we are starting with lessons that Liz and Cael learned at age 1, 2, 3 and 4. It was not easy work then, and the same is true now. It requires a TON of patience and a lot of help. 

I am so grateful that Adam's mom is here helping with so much. If not for her the house might be falling apart...at the very least the sink would be full of dishes and none of us would have clean clothes. 

To all of the people that are providing and will be providing meals...thank you!!! What a great blessing to not think about that piece of survival! Thank you to Alicia Tankersley for setting all that up for us!

To all the people sending encouraging emails and texts...thank you so much!!!  We are massively blessed by you. God is listening to all your prayers and honoring them. He has been so good to us!!

Yesterday was our first full day as the Thompson Family of 6. It was a good day. We were happy to wake up together. Debo seemed a little off and we found out pretty quickly why when she threw up all over me. She was facing me in my lap so it was easiest to just let her heave into my chest and belly. Family bonding!!!! We both stripped in the middle of the kitchen and headed to the bathtub. Family bonding!!! I had to hold her right leg in the air to protect her sutures while washing the vomit from the both of us. Lots of great bonding!! (Sweet Granny cleaned up the pile of mess that I left behind....oh, how I love her!!!!) Adam took the two boys to a bike trail and they road their bikes 4 miles! They all came back exhausted but smiling big. Our neighbors gave us a gift card to the movie theater so we took the opportunity and went to see the Lego Movie as a family. It was a fun outing and the kids enjoyed the movie. Cael had baseball practice in the evening and Gabe and I tried to go watch but it was too cold outside for my Ghanaian boy so we went home early. He only had one episode of shutdown today which is amazing to me! We are only on Day One!!! God is good!

Debo's leg is healing well and she hasn't had any more issues with throwing up. She is bonding really well with Liz and Cael and even walked down the street to initiate playtime with some of the neighborhood girls. When they all came down the street holding hands my heart melted. So sweet!!!

Talking on the phone is almost impossible right now because everyone needs something at all times. This blog has taken me so many attempts but I value the importance of getting this all documented while trying to keep all you sweet people in the loop on how things are going in our home. We are so grateful for you and are overwhelmed by the outpouring of support.








2 comments: