Sunday, February 16, 2014

Another Sunday in Ghana

I am typing this Sunday update on Monday morning. Sunday was a very long day. I feel like most days lately are long. I am trying to see the joy in the long days...more time to enjoy the kids,  more time to praise my God....However, mostly, I am just tired.

The highlight of this post is....Sunday started and ended with 2 HUGE answers to prayers.

1) Despite many "arguments" on Saturday about going to church on Sunday and very clear declarations that "I am NOT GOING TO CHURCH!!!" My boy went to church with fairly minimal protest. I honestly didn't know what I was going to do if he physically resisted me. But, thank you Lord, you heard our prayers and acted! Thank you! Debo even went into the Children's service and really seemed to enjoy herself. Gabriel sat between me and Auntie Ebe and was careful not to touch me or get too close. He informed me that he didn't go to church with me he went with Auntie Ebe and for the last 30 minutes he slept in her lap. I share this to help paint the picture for the 2nd HUGE answer to prayer.

2) Following church we enjoyed a nice meal at a local restaurant. I mostly enjoyed it because all the food was hot and ready and you just had to pick what you wanted and they brought it to you. With 4 small children at the table, efficiency is key! They serve all the Ghanaian dishes that Gabriel enjoys most (banku, fufu, jollof rice and white rice served with either okra stew, tilapia stew, salmon stew, dried fish stew, goat stew, beef stew of chicken).  All was fine. He still wasn't speaking to me or looking at me but I'm a big girl. As the afternoon wore on and our friends went home he began to talk..."You like Debo more than me", "You don't want to take me to America", "You don't love me", "No, I will not listen to you", "No, I don't want you to______,.... I kept reassuring and loving and touching and pouring. By the evening I was emotionally exhausted. (Additionally, Debo always wants to be ON me so I was physically exhausted.)  I happened to be skyping with a dear friend when he started "talking" again. She was able to pray for me and support me through that tough moment...such a gift from God!!!  Following that call, I set up facetime for Gabriel and daddy while I tucked Debo in for the night. During those 20 minutes God worked my second miracle of the day through the prayers of my friend and some time with a daddy. Once it was just Gabe and me (and dad on facetime) I was able to tell dad some of the things Gabriel has been saying and dad said, "He knows you love him mom. He knows." Gabriel was listening. We played a game of virtual angry birds with Dad over the computer and shared some laughs. We went to bed together. This morning I woke up when this big boy laid his head on my belly and wrapped his arm around my waist. Thank you Lord for loving Gabriel so much and helping to demonstrate even a small portion of that love through me. Thank you for giving me wisdom in how to parent him. Thank you for being my strength when I am weak. Thank you for your loving kindness in hearing our prayers and answering them so perfectly. Thank you for your mercy that is new every morning. Please give me wisdom and strength and patience for this new day....Another Monday in Ghana!


(I didn't take any pictures on Sunday but here are some that I didn't share from Saturday at the mall and movie.)








No comments:

Post a Comment