Tuesday, April 29, 2014

That we may...

We serve a God that gives to us generously. We get to be a part of His story.

That we may....


Three years ago I was given the opportunity to donate my bone marrow through a peripheral stem cell transplant for a complete stranger. I never knew anything about the recipient except that he was a 64 year old man with Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma.

The donation wasn't easy but it wasn't terrible either. It was a privilege and honor to help prolong or save someone's life. I am so thankful I was given the opportunity.

I have prayed for this man and his family so much over the past 3 years and this week I finally received the gift of talking to his wife. Although he passed away, I know God's hand and timing was perfect in the transplant and uniting our lives in this amazing and incredibly miraculous way. I am honored to be a very small part in this amazing man's story.

The biggest lesson I learned during that time in my life was that my body was not my own...it belonged to God. Therefore I should honor God with my body. (1 Corinthians 6:19-20) I was given the opportunity to literally offer my body as a living sacrifice. I definitely did it for the recipient but, first and foremost, I did it for God.

There are other "living sacrifices" that I am called to do daily that are much more difficult than the transplant. They are opportunities to "die to self" and live for others. Opportunities to put other people's needs ahead of my own. My husband. My children. My friend. My neighbor. A stranger.

It's not easy. It is SO MUCH more comfortable to think of myself first. It's so much more natural to be selfish.

Fancy family trip or major donation to a worthy charity?
Great magazine/book or Good Night Moon for the thousandth time?
Sleep or "couple time"?
Surfing the internet or doing a puzzle with my child?
More pocket change or pay for the drive through customer behind me?

None of the first things are bad by any means. They are just focused on personal gain instead of others. We all need a vacation and relaxation and sleep and money but left unchecked our unintentional choices may lead us down a very comfortable path of stinginess and selfishness.

People say all the time how amazing we are to adopt two kids. I can tell you people that we are not amazing. We made a very intentional decision to obey God's calling and adopt these two children. We desired to walk down a more uncomfortable path of sacrifice and selflessness but it is SO HARD! God has provided peace, wisdom, patience, perseverance, and strength. But I really see how selfish I am at the core. I struggle daily with my wants and I mourn the loss of my "easy" life BA (Before Adoption).

Then I think about God's love for me. His ultimate sacrifice for me provided my own adoption into His family and made me a child of God. I am a princess now because I am a child of the King. That I may sacrifice such small things daily in an expression of gratitude to my heavenly Father...it is such a privilege!

1 comment: